Tuesday, July 21, 2009

"Heyy" vs. "Hi"

.





This idea popped up in my head suddenly.


What is your reply when people pop up a chat message with you online? It doesn't matter which instant messaging softwares you use (MSN, Yahoo!, Skype, Google Talk, ICQ, IRC etc.), even in games when you play with other people. Just what would your written reply be (the same if you were to start up a chat with someone)?


A formal "Hello"?
An intimate "Harlow"?

A casual "Hey"?

A friendly "Heyya"?

A hippy "Yo"?
Or just a simplistic "Hi"?


My personal reply depends on my mood. However, though, I use "Heyy" most of the time. So I felt like contrasting the use of "Heyy" and "Hi", in my opinion at least. =)


If I were to go back in time, my reply varies according to my circle of influence. Of course, I'm quite sure I used to "Hi" when I first ventured into the cyberworld. As I met more people online, the way I talk (or in this case, type) changed gradually. Right now, I usually go "Heyy". For a good reason.


I find it less appealing to use "Hi" cuz, well, it sounded very dull as compared to the other forms of greetings (unless of course, I'm in a very dull mood at the moment). Imagine someone coming up to you with a friendly "Yo!" and you reply with a dull "Hi". In other words..





I'M A VERY FRIENDLY FELLA n I LOVE TO TALK =)) [<3 mua babeh muaxx] says:
Yo!
im bored says:
Hi




See the difference? An expressive statement countered by a dull one. Not that I'm condemning the use of a simple "Hi", but I felt that an overuse of it make the person seem not so bersemangat (not enthusiastic). After all, the way you type out your words determines how you're 'speaking' in the virtual world. As an example:


Hi
can be modified into:

Hiii
Hi!
Hi =D

Hi..



Notice the great impact it'll give your words just by adding a few dots or an emoticon to it, or even extending it by a few characters? Imagine how it could affect the whole sentence.


Hi can you help me do a survey?
and also

Hiii can you help me do a survey?
Hi!
can you help me do a survey?

Hi =D
can you help me do a survey?

Hi..
can you help me do a survey?



Which of the ones mentioned above you think sounds the most enthusiatic?


I still prefer my "Heyy". I guess I could consider it a tribute to my onee-chan, Arigatou Aishite (her net name), who actually influenced me enough to use it. Though she might not know I still remember her.. I don't know.


I miss you ne. =)


.

2 ppl have things to say! [-]:

Melissa Leng Lui said...

goodness jason! overanalyzing much ? :)

-Zephyrus- said...

Kinda.. random overanalysation XD